Tuesday 21 October 2014

At home Keratin Treatments : Do they really work?

Incase you didn't know, at home Keratin treatments are all the rage right now. If you have naturally frizzy, humidity prone hair like I do, the promise of an at home treatment that can banish away frizz for good is almost too good to be true.

I have natural afro hair. Whilst I am able to get my hair straight, it doesn't take much (literally minutes of sitting in a room or stepping outside) before my strands start to frizz up again. Frustrated, I decided to take action and scour the high street for affordable at home Keratin treatments.

1. Tresemme Keratin Smooth.



Of this range I used the shampoo, the deep conditioner, the smoothing serum and the heat defence.

It was a lot of fuss doing every step, specifically with the serum which you have to put in between drying and straightening your hair. After using the whole range my hair was straight, but it was also still partially affected (all be it to a lesser degree) to humidity.

I figured that there are bits from this range that you must use and bits you can do without.

Must use:

Shampoo - the shampoo really smoothes down and makes your hair easy to work with. You can definatley feel it working

The every day conditioner- Again overall good conditioner

The heat defence: Through trial and error I have found that this heat defence really makes a difference. I don't know what it is about it, but even on its own, it is a must have.

At the same time as Tresemme, I also bought La Brasiliana Keratin treatment and tried it separately.

2. La Brasiliana Keratin treatment.



Shampoo is ok, but not better than the Tresemme. The conditioner was a definite must have.

So I would recommend using the Tresemme shampoo & keeping the conditioner, and mixing it with the La Brasiliana. If you were to pick between Tresemme conditioner and La Brasiliana, I would say La Brasiliana.


Armed with my must haves, I decided to seek ways to improve the formula. I was not really impressed with the Tresemme 7 day smooth Serum so I decided to switch this out with Mixed Chicks straightening serum.



This stuff is AMAZING. It says that it is humidity resistant and it really is. After using this my hair actually stays straight and humidity resistant.

I have finally cracked the code to humidity resistant hair, and the method is as important as the products so here are the instructions:

1. Wash with Tresemme Keratin Shampoo
2. Mix La Brasiliana & Tresemme 7 day straight conditioner, put on hair for at least 20 mins under a plastic bag, rinse out with cold water.
3. Put on Mixed chicks serum & spray each section with Tresemme heat defence as you blow dry you hair section by section, with a brush that allows you to get real tension.
4. Going through TINY sections of your hair, straighten your hair with a good straigtener that goes to at least 230 C or 450 F (if you have afro hair, if not you can use a lesser heat).

So do Keratin at home products work? My answer is yes. This formula worked for me, and I hope it works for you too. Here are my before & afters:

before, my natural afro hair
After, my hair straighten using the method mentioned.




It is definitely worth the try, and the Keratin Products from Tresemme are readily available and rather cheap, so I would start there.

Best of Luck,

Life by Lois




SHARE:
© LIFE BY LOIS | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig