Saturday 2 January 2016

The secret to being happy in 2016





This New Year's Day  I find myself on the Beach in Barbados, allowing the sound of the soft waves gently sooth my mind, each wave allowing for some much needed mental repair. Every Londoner knows that by the time January rolls around even with the rejuvenation of the holidays - London has a way of ruthlessly transforming the positive new resolute you to the familiar grouchy city dweller, no doubt shoving tourists our the way by mid Jan.

Luckily for me, angry Londoner Lois is on pause and my holiday tranquility has been extended, here in paradise. 

Barbados is a beautiful country vibrant people. Although the population isn't rich, they are extremely content. This is initially an odd thing for the hustling Londoner that I am to understand. Initially I suspected it's due to living in paradise- after all , if i lived here- I would be happy too... Right?! However one encounter had me questioning that. I soon realised that happiness isn't where you are but who you are.  

His name was Andrew, around 6 ft, rich cocoa completion, with a white peppered beard and  slim build he called to us as we were walking by and then we sat to chat- buying him a beer in exchange for some good conversation, we learned that he made and sold his own jewellery, had 3 adult daughters and had lived in Barbados his whole life- never leaving the island, about this he said, I live in paradise. For me, this is it, why would I ever leave? I meet the worlds most interesting people here, I have the sun, the sea, my family  it is all I need." His list of what made him happy was so short- so simple. It was a list that many of us already have. Many Americans live in idyllic beach side paradise too, yet seen to remain defiantly unhappy and the furthest thing from content. Considering this I deducted that the key to this mans happiness is that he had learned the art of being grateful for the basics of what he had. His gratitude was not contingent on things he wanted more than what he had, and so neither was his happiness. If you put your gratitude on hold until you have more, you are actually putting your happiness and life on hold. 

To unlock the happiness in your life look closely at the simple things you already have and often overlook- like family, friends, Shelter - then take time every morning this year to be truly grateful.

Write out what they are , recite why you are grateful for them. Before you know it happiness won't be an 8 hour flight away- it will be with you always. 

Happy New Year X I hope this keeps you on a positive path. Please share with friends and family ! 

Life by Lois 




SHARE:
© LIFE BY LOIS | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig